Great Tasting Recipes
Matzo Ball Soup
- Calories 412
- • Fat 22
- • Cholestorol 199
- • Sodium 162
- • Total Carbohydrate 25
- • Dietry Fiber 4
- • Protein 28
- 1 3-pound chicken
- 3 stalks celery, halved
- 2 medium carrots, halved
- 1 onion, halved
- 5 plum tomatoes, quartered
- 3 sprigs parsley
- 3 sprigs dill
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- Kosher salt
- 4 Farmhouse Eggs (large)
- 3 tablespoons grated shallot, squeezed dry
- 1 clove garlic, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
- 1 cup matzo meal
- For the broth - Add the chicken, celery, carrots, onion, tomatoes, parsley, dill, coriander seeds, peppercorns and 2 teaspoons of salt into a large pot.
- Add cold water to cover the ingredients by 1 inch.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; then reduce the heat to maintain a low simmer.
- Cook, skimming off the foam occasionally, for 3 hours.
- Strain, discarding the solids and let cool until the fat rises to the surface.
- Skim off the fat, reserving 2 tablespoons for the matzo balls.
- For the Matzo Balls - Whisk the eggs and reserved chicken-broth fat in a bowl.
- Mix in the shallot, garlic, lemon zest, ginger, dill, parsley, matzo meal, 1/4 cup of the prepared broth and 1 3/4 teaspoons of salt.
- Cover and chill for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Roll heaping teaspoonfuls of dough into balls with damp hands. Cover and chill until ready to cook.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the matzo balls and reduce the heat to maintain a low simmer.
- Cover and cook until the balls are tender; about 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in another pot warm the prepared broth.
- Drain the matzo balls and place in the broth. Serve and enjoy!